Sunday, January 9, 2011

Power Balance Bracelets?

I do not believe in gimmicks. I'm not big on shortcuts either. I think the best way to reach any goal is through hard work, determination, and perseverance.  I did not get to where I am today using any fad diet or miracle supplement. I have performed countless hours of exercise, and spent a large portion of many days preparing healthy foods in order to obtain and maintain my current fitness level.  Although my strength, cardiovascular fitness, and flexibilty are all very good, I'm terrible at balancing.  This is what prompted me to consider purchasing one of those power balance bands we've seen all over the place.  

I've noticed several of my Zumba students wearing these bands, and, if I get a chance, I always ask them to describe their experiences with them  Every single person I've talked to has had something positive to say about them, such as the bands improve their balance, flexibility, and coordination, even their mood, as well as decrease joint pain, give them more energy, or help them sleep better at night.  These bands are endorsed by famous athletes such as Shaquille O'Neal, David Beckham, and Lamar Odom, and actors like Robert DeNiro and Gerard Butler.  There are hundreds of testimonials about how awesome they are on the internet, and just as many, if not more, claims that they are a scam.

One of my students gave me a detailed explanation of them and told me she orders them in bulk and is able to sell them for $10.  They're $30 on the Power Balance website.  She performed the test on me shown here, and I figured I would give it a shot.  I purchased one and wore it for a few hours.  I took it off when I got home, and I hadn't noticed feeling any different.  The next time I saw her, my student asked me if it was doing anything.  I had forgotten to put it on that morning.  She said the more you wear it, the more chance it has to influence the ions floating around inside you, creating positive energy and alignment in your body.  I discovered that the silver hologram in each bracelet is made of mylar, which is supposed to react with your internal chemisty,  and according to the creators of this product, have an effect on your body similar to acupuncture.  I'm a little skeptical about things without scientific evidence, but I decided to wear it more often.  After a few days, I did notice some changes.  My balance and flexibilty may have improved slightly, but I definitely had an increase in energy.  On Mondays, I teach four hours of Zumba in addition to training one client, and working about five hours at another part time job.  By the end of the day, I am usually completely exhausted, and I have to push myself to get through the last few hours.  I had been wearing the bracelet all day long, and when I got home that evening, I realized that I had just as much energy during my final Zumba class as I had had in the first one.  I didn't consume any caffiene or an energy drink, yet I was jumping around all fired up at 7:00 pm.  I have also noticed that I have been sleeping more soundly.  

Many of the articles claiming that the bracelets are a scam say that any changes in your body are purely phychological.  They say that wearing the bracelet is just like putting on your lucky socks or other charms, and the opposing views say that the bracelets effect each person differently, based on  individual body chemistry.  Some wearers of the bracelet testify that they feel terrible when they're not wearing it.  I can't back that one up, but I have seen some positive changes in myself since keeping it on my wrist frequently.  These changes could be all in my head, but I think I'll continue to wear it.  I'm hoping I will notice improvements in my joints and balance through continued use, but greater energy and sounder sleep will suffice to make me unregretful of spending $10 on it.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment