Monday, February 27, 2012

Plagued by the Silent Killer

Last week I went into a health clinic for a regularly scheduled physical, and came out questioning some of my own eating habits. I got blood work, urinalysis, and all kinds of other tests done that the technicians perform to assess health levels. I consider myself to be in very good physical condition, and I have always had optimal results on these kinds of tests. Not this time.

The nurse practitioner couldn't believe it, and tried again to be sure, but she got the same reading. My blood pressure is high. I scored excellent on all other tests, so it was bit of a shock. My reading isn't considered hypertension, but it's very close. Hypertension, when blood pressure is high enough to require some type of modification, is defined as anything higher than 140/90. Last week, at the clinic, it was 138/90, and I took it again last night and got 138/79. I am actually surprised it was lower yesterday because my son was pitching a fit in the middle of the store while I was taking it.


High blood pressure is nicknamed "The Silent Killer" because it has no signs or symptoms. It is dangerous because it makes the heart work harder to pump blood to the body, and it also contributes to hardening of the arteries, or atherosclerosis, and the development of heart failure.


The nurse practitioner and I discussed my habits. I truly do not think I am mentally stressed, and that is a huge risk factor for high blood pressure. My son frustrates me sometimes, and I stay busy all the time, but I consider myself to be a happy person with a relatively drama free life. I exercise regularly, I'm not overweight, I don't smoke or excessively consume alcohol, so the only other lifestyle factor that could contribute to high blood pressure is my diet.

I don't eat much fried or greasy, fatty foods. I try to choose lean sources of protein, and eat lots of vegetables every day. When I am selecting food at the grocery store, I always check out the calories, protein, and fat, but skip right over the sodium. I honestly thought only older people had to worry about salt content. When I cook, to make up for lack of butter, oil, or fat in recipes, I heavily season almost everything.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I often eat Morningstar Farms, Amy's, or Boca meatless products because they're high in protein, low in fat, and simple to prepare. I also consume several bags of Steamfresh vegetables daily. These foods appear to be healthy, but they are all loaded with sodium. One veggie patty has 20% of the recommended daily allowance for sodium, as does one serving of steamed veggies in seasoned sauce. I usually consume two patties and three servings of veggies at each meal, so that is 100% of what I am supposed to have in one meal, but I usually eat five or six times per day. When I look at the numbers, I can't believe how much salt I take in every day.

Having high blood pressure really bothers me. I am a fitness professional, and I should be setting an example for all those around me. I am way too young to be experiencing heart disease risk factors. I am determined to do everything in my power to bring my blood pressure down. I know that all it will take is a little extra work and preparation. I went to the grocery store last night, and for the first time in my life, I checked the sodium content of every single thing before I put it in my shopping cart.

I selected lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I purchased several giant packs of boneless, skinless chicken breast. I did buy some frozen vegetables, but I made sure they weren't smothered in seasonings. For snacks, I choose Greek yogurt, unsalted nuts, and low sodium granola bars and cereal. I stocked up on sodium-free seasonings such as Mrs. Dash, cilantro, oregano, chives, and other herbs.



I spent my Sunday evening preparing food for the rest of the week. I baked about 10 whole chicken breasts, seasoned with sauteed onions and garlic, Ms. Dash, oregano, and chives. I also cooked some vegetables and prepared a salad. The food was absolutely delicious. I know I can continue to plan my meals ahead of time. My health depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment