Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yoga Challenge Check In

The comforting, relaxing melodies of the Native American flute from Mary Youngblood's "The Offering" float out of my speakers into the warm air. The candlelight flickers and I slowly awaken my limbs to rise out of Savasana. It is Day 8 of the 21 Day Yoga Challenge, and I am feeling wonderful. I am savoring every day of my yoga practice.

It has not been difficult to squeeze a yoga session into each day. I scheduled it in between clients or after classes when I have a break, and occasionally in the evening before bed. I look forward to each day's video with anticipation. Saturday, when I spent all day driving and attending the HOT HULA fitness® workshop, I decided to do some long, intense hamstrings and glute stretches instead of the daily video provided by Yoga Journal. Sunday, I was eager to catch up, and completed both Saturday and Sunday's videos.

The first few videos were a little more basic than I like my practice to be, so I just added a few demanding poses to round it out. Later in the week, I was pleased to see that they began to get a little more challenging. I thoroughly enjoyed Thursday's hip opening sequence with Rebecca Urban. Friday's side bends with Jason Crandell was an amazing stretch, and the backbend flow with Elise Lorimer was so awesome, I did it twice!

Today's video was a core focus with Rebecca Urban. It was a good ab strengthening sequence with a concentration on proper technique and muscle mindfulness. The one thing that disappointed me about it is that it's a repeat of Day 3. I think it's great that Yoga Journal sends participants an array of videos from different instructors with various styles, but I was hoping each day would have a separate video. If I really want to concentrate on a specific flow, I would repeat it. Yoga Journal recommends that we do this sequence again, really slowing down and concentrating on the way the muscles are feeling. I think they are trying to emphasize the importance of core strength as it relates to daily life, and create and reinforce muscle mindfullness by featuring this video again.



I try to be mindful of all my muscles during each practice. I often pause the video to work my body even deeper into a stretch, truly feeling each part of the body, and breathing throughout the movement. I want to get the absolute most out of each pose.

I will continue to look forward to each day's sequence with fervor. I think this challenge is a wonderful way to improve your current yoga practice, or get into the habit of adding it to your daily routine. The very best thing about it is that it is completely free! You can still sign up with Yoga Journal, and join me on my journey towards union of body and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment