Monday, January 9, 2012

21 Day Yoga Challenge

I picked up my first book on yoga in my early twenties, when I was just starting to explore the fitness world. I had heard that yoga had great physical and mental benefits, and I wanted to try adding it to my fitness program.

I absorbed the book and starting practicing regularly, sometimes twice a day. I thought to myself, "This is exactly like the warm up to all the gymnastic classes I took when I was a little girl." I was putting my body into all the poses I saw illustrated in the book, and reading the descriptions on what to do with your body while you're holding each pose, but I did not yet grasp the concept of synching my breath and movement.

I could go on and on detailing the emergence and evolution of my yoga practice, but I want to discuss my current commitment to Yoga Journal's 21 Day Yoga Challenge. I have practiced on and off for years, but I am making a pledge to myself that I will practice every single day for 21 days.

I practice yoga as a part of my regular fitness plan. I do it to increase my flexibility and range of motion, as well as use it as a way to clear my mind and relax. I have learned to be more patient from my yoga practice. To increase muscle flexibility, you have to stretch a specific muscle consistently. The longer you hold a stretch, the more pliable the muscle becomes, thus increasing range of motion. Flexibility is a primary component of physical fitness, and I am always striving to increase mine.



I will receive a daily email with a link to a yoga video. The videos will range from 15 minutes to an hour, and are instructed by respected members of the yoga community. Anyone may sign up for the challenge by registering on the Yoga Journal website. It's completely free, and a great way to get started in a yoga practice or broaden your current practice.

I selected the intermediate track because I already have an established practice. I performed today's video early this morning after a personal training client in the group exercise room at Anytime Fitness. I cut off the lights, turned Pandora internet radio on the Zen Garden channel, and completed the video watching it on a mobile device.

Todays video was very easy physically, but concentrated on synching movement and breath. I think it was an excellent introduction. The practice was led by yogini Kate Holcolmbe, and was about 20 minutes long. I felt relaxed and recharged, ready to go about my day when it was over.



I would love to have some company on my 21 Day Yoga Challenge. Please contact me if you are participating as well, and we can form a support group. I will continue to update my progress as the challenge continues, and I look forward to meeting each day's practice with enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment