Sunday, December 14, 2014

Eating Healthy on a Tight Budget

I had a super tight food budget this week, and I wanted to share with you how I was able to make it work. You won't see any ramen noodles or $1 fast food value menu items in this meal plan! All these meals are fast, easy, healthy, and CHEAP!

I see recipes in fitness magazines all the time that are labeled "quick and simple", but they have fifteen ingredients and a 30 minute prep time. I'm sure they are healthy and delicious, but who has time for that? My nutrition plan for this week is truly easy, using only a few main staples.

I only spent around $30, and kept my hunger at bay all week!  

First I planned out several meals that I could divide into portions. I chose skinless, boneless chicken breast for my main courses, and I found a family pack for $1.99/pound. 

Lunches and dinners would be chicken quesadillas and various chicken salads and wraps. Breakfast is boiled eggs and oatmeal, and snacks are apples and bananas with peanut butter. 

I was able to get everything I needed for a grand total of $30.61!  I trimmed the fat from all of the chicken and threw it in the crockpot with several different seasonings that were already in the pantry. I boiled all 18 eggs at once for easy breakfast prep. 



After the chicken was done, I prepared several quesadillas, put together some chicken salad with the Greek yogurt and relish I purchased, and set the rest of the chicken aside for other meals. 



I had some other items in my fridge and pantry that I combined with these entrees to make complete meals, so it would cost a little more if your fridge is completely empty. 

One evening I combined the chicken with barbecue sauce and had some canned beans on the side.  


Another day I had a Caesar salad with lettuce I purchased, a chopped boiled egg, chicken, and some Caesar dressing that I found in my kitchen. 


One meal was chicken tossed with light honey mustard dressing from my fridge, wrapped in a tortilla I bought with the $30. 



I had frozen veggies in the freezer prior to my shopping trip, so I chomped down on those with my quesadillas and wraps. 

Two boiled eggs and a serving of oatmeal was plenty for my morning meal. Half an apple or a banana with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter made an awesome snack for both mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Yes, most of these meals are boring, but they're all simple, healthy, and inexpensive. A little planning and preparation can go a long way when you're trying to cut calories and cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment