Saturday, June 21, 2014

Workout of the Week: Jiu Jitsu

Have you ever seen a someone wearing a "TapouT" T-shirt and wondered what it was all about? Tapping out is way to submit to another opponent in the martial art of jiu jitsu. Jiu jitsu is used frequently in mixed martial arts fights, and "TapouT" is a brand of clothing that sponsors the fights, worn by fighters and fans.

Even though jiu jitsu involves more thinking than exercising, I leave every class I attend pouring sweat with exhausted muscles, so I chose it as my workout of the week this week. I want an active lifestyle for the rest of my days, so I like to try new workouts regularly. I have decided to commit to writing a blog about a different workout every week, and what better one to start with than my latest passion: jiu jitsu!

Martial arts have been around since the dawn of man, originally used in warfare, but transitioning mainly to sport with the emergence of weapons and military in modern civilization. No one knows the exact history of jiu jitsu. Most scholars say Buddhist monks from India brought it to Asia. Others say it was developed in Greece during the time of the Olympians, while many more think that jiu jitsu originated from the Ming Dynasty in China. What we do know, is that it was refined in Japan between the 8th and 16th centuries, and the term "jiu jitsu" was first heard in 1532. The art was brought to Brazil in 1914, where it continued to develop into the form that we practice today.

The word "jiu jitsu" comes from the Japanese word "jujutsu", with "ju" meaning gentle, flexible, or yielding, and "jutsu", which means art or technique. Jiu Jitsu is a grappling (rolling on the ground) sport, that uses traps, holds, and joint locks to defeat an opponent. It was developed as a method of hand-to-hand combat when striking proved ineffective, such as when the adversary was wearing armor. When an opponent submits, or "taps out", then he is defeated. Photo from www.graciemag.com.


I first attempted a jiu jitsu class in 2008. I had a friend who was a mixed martial arts fighter, and I used to prescribe workouts for him that would help increase his endurance. He talked me into trying it, and I loved it! I attended classes regularly for about six months, but had to stop because of scheduling conflicts with work.

This past October, I heard that a new mixed martial arts gym, Reflex MMA, had opened up that was close to my home, and they were offering a kid's class. I had been looking for a good extracurricular activity for my son, so I signed him up. I learned that the adult classes were later in the evening, and would fit my busy schedule, so I began attending as well.

I have been going to classes between two and four times per week, as often as my schedule allows, since October, and I think I have improved myself as a person, an athlete, and a martial artist greatly in the last nine months. Learning jiu jitsu gives me more self-confidence, and I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I am able to execute a move properly. I'm still not very good when compared to many others in the class, but it's an ongoing process. I'm learning more and more each week. My instructor, Coach Kam, always says to us that a black belt is a white belt who never quit, so I'm not giving up!

Each class begins with an aerobic warm up to get our bodies warm and our joints prepared for the intensity. We run, shuffle, and then do some technical drills. Next, we gather on the mat while the instructor breaks down and demonstrates the moves that we will learn, and then we practice them on each other. We will stop several times during class while the coach shows us things that we are doing wrong, or gives us tips on how to perform each move more efficiently. The class usually ends with some live competition, when we grapple one another to submission.



While jiu jitsu is an incredible skill and a great workout, it's not for everyone. You have to be tough in mind and body. I was forced to submit more times than I can count before I ever won a match against someone. When I was finally able to apply my knowledge while grappling an opponent, I felt extremely fulfilled! I have also had a few minor injuries since practicing regularly, but nothing to debilitate me.


I get a great workout every time I take a jiu jitsu class, but the object is to learn how to apply skills without expending too much energy. I am not on that level quite yet, but I am continuing to learn. More importantly than just exercising, I am gaining knowledge from jiu jitsu classes that I will have for the rest of my life!

Next workout of the week: YOGA!















No comments:

Post a Comment