Friday, August 24, 2012

Caribbean Inspired Chicken

I have been having a taste for Caribbean food all week long. I used to live in Atlanta in a predominantly Jamaican neighborhood, and what I miss most about it is the food. I used to eat Curried Chicken, Jerk Chicken, Stewed Chicken, and all kinds of other dishes cooked by people native to the Caribbean on a weekly basis. I decided that I would make my own creation, and keep it as healthy as possible.

I baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the oven at about 350 degrees while I prepared the other ingredients. I peeled and cut up two limes and threw them in the food processor with a bit of habanero pepper sauce, Caribbean jerk seasoning, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and curry powder. I pulled the chicken breasts out of the oven after about 20 minutes, and dumped the seasoning mixture on top of them. I let them cook for about another 25 minutes until they were done. The length of time it takes to cook chicken breasts depends on their thickness.

While they were baking, I got out a skillet and turned the heat up to medium high. I cut up and peeled a few plantains and coated the bottom of the pan with extra virgin olive oil. I added the plantains and let them cook.

I cut up a mango, an avocado, and some cilantro. I had some pre-cut broccoli slaw and some prepared pico de gallo in the fridge. I tossed it all together for a side dish.

I flipped the plantains over and let them simmer until they were golden brown. When the chicken was done, I removed it from the oven, and made my plate. Now I wish I had taken some more pictures of it, but I was ready to dig in! Yum!

The only thing I would have done differently was purchasing my produce from the farmer's market instead of a grocery store. I could really tell the difference. The mango and the avocado were not nearly as good, and they had a strange, chemical taste to them. I definitely will not be buying Walmart produce again.

I love listening to music while I'm cooking. I was in such a Caribbean mood this evening, that I downloaded an entire album to motivate me during my kitchen exploration. I chose Reggae Gold 2012. I have bought several Reggae Gold albums in the past, and they're always fantastic. My Zumba® students may be getting some extra island flavor in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment