Monday, March 26, 2012

Good Ole' BBQ

I am convinced that anyone can cook healthy homemade meals with the right preparation. I went to Sam's Club over the weekend, and stocked up on boneless, skinless chicken breast at $1.99 per pound. I purchased around 25 pounds of it, which should be enough for at least a month.

As soon as I got home, I took around 20 minutes and trimmed the visible fat off of every piece of meat, then packaged the chicken breasts into freezer bags to remain frozen until needed. I left out enough to cook meals for the next few days.

I feel like some cooking plain American barbeque, so I check out some recipes online. I never end up using just one recipe. I will pick out a few that sound good, and use whatever I have in the kitchen, and kind of combine them together. I have never been disappointed, although some meals taste better than others.

I made a marinade out of water, brown sugar, chopped garlic, onion powder, thyme, and a touch of liquid smoke flavoring. I let the chicken soak in it for an entire afternoon. When I was ready to start cooking, I placed the breasts on a foil-lined cookie sheet, and covered them with grated onion and garlic, plus more thyme, some paprika, and Ms. Dash onion and herb seasoning.



While the chicken was cooking, I threw some bags of Steamfresh veggies in the microwave, and went off to do something else while I was waiting. I want to give a huge hug to whoever invented those things. I always have to make sure to buy the "Pure and Simple" bags that don't contain sauces or flavorings. Those are high in sodium and preservatives. The ones I purchase contain only the vegetable, and nothing else.

After about 20 minutes, I go back into the kitchen, and pull the chicken out of the oven. I brush barbeque sauce over each one, and flip them over. My favorite sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy Barbeque Sauce. I let the chicken bake for about 15 more minutes, and then pulled it out to cool.

I place the veggies and chicken on a plate, and serve it with a little extra sauce on the side. Yum! This meal was fast, easy, healthy, and delicious!!!


Next up: Metro Dash Recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment